Winter skills 3.4: how to belay on winter climbs
05 Oct 16
Expert tips for winter climbing. How to belay:
- Check the rock quality with visual and tap test
- Cut/use a comfortable stance
- Equalised slings can ease changeovers
- Keep belay plate clipped in when threading/unthreading
- Stash axes carefully to avoid the rope flicking them out
- Agree action plan before leaving the belay
- Clean cracks to seat gear on rock
- Cams require particular attention to clean the rock
- Visible rock placements are a gift - use them!
This is one of a series of instructional films produced exclusively for BMC TV in association with AMI (the Association of Mountaineering Instructors), Lowe Alpine and DMM.