Winter skills 3.4: how to belay on winter climbs
Expert tips for winter climbing. How to belay:
- Check the rock quality with visual and tap test
- Cut/use a comfortable stance
- Equalised slings can ease changeovers
- Keep belay plate clipped in when threading/unthreading
- Stash axes carefully to avoid the rope flicking them out
- Agree action plan before leaving the belay
- Clean cracks to seat gear on rock
- Cams require particular attention to clean the rock
- Visible rock placements are a gift - use them!
This is one of a series of instructional films produced exclusively for BMC TV in association with AMI (the Association of Mountaineering Instructors), Lowe Alpine and DMM.
We're the BMC. Climb walls, rock, hills, ice or mountains? JOIN US